As the pandemic makes staging traditional car launches next to impossible, MINI’s new fleet will this week enter the market online rather than in-person, each introduced by an iconic creator tasked with launching the model they have been paired with, in their own distinctive way.
In a campaign from innovative marketing agency Anomaly, MINI asked each famous creator ‘How would you launch a MINI?” They then gave them free reign to develop their own ideas, ensuring each icon’s unique flair feeds into an entirely new kind of car launch, “MINI, Launched By…..”
From photographer Rankin who shoots the most different MINI owners he could find, to contemporary artist Lakwena whose giant mural is testament to MINI’s joyful spirit; to Charlie Cooper, who reminds us of the Go-Kart feeling embedded in MINI’s DNA, thanks to his racing car maker grandfather John Cooper; and fashion legend Sir Paul Smith, who teases the upcoming Paul Smith x MINI cooperation project – this creative collective delivers an entirely different, surprising reveal of the car maker’s all-new models.
L.A. Ronayne, group creative director, Anomaly, commented “The new models have their own personalities, so they deserve to show up across the internet in different ways suited to each. Plus it was a nice excuse to open up our creative team to knights, legends and the actual Cooper family.”
Sebastian Beuchel, Head of MINI Global Brand Management commented “Alec Issigonis, the creator of the classic Mini, was a creative thinker who captured his first sketches for a revolutionary new small car on a napkin. This attitude continues to shape us to this day. In our ‘Launched by _’ campaign, we show people who dare to do new things and inspire us with their ideas – each and every one in their own way. MINI stands for diversity, joie de vivre and the feeling of togetherness. As multifaceted as the driving pleasure with our new models is, so are the personalities and their stories in our campaign. This shows the meaning of the statement ‘We are all different – but pretty good together’. Diversity – in any form – is an important driver of ideas and innovation for us.”
As well as a video montage of all creators, eight 60-sec ads, featuring the each of the creators and their respective models will play out across Twitter, YouTube, Linkedin, Facebook and Instagram.
The full list of icons bringing MINI’s ‘Launched By’ campaign to life:
- MINI ELECTRIC LAUNCHED BY Miquela / Virtual Popstar, artist and activist / LOS ANGELES
- MINI JOHN COOPER WORKS LAUNCHED BY Briana King / Skateboarder and community organiser / LOS ANGELES
- MINI CONVERTIBLE LAUNCHED BY Lakwena / Artist / LONDON
- 5-DOOR MINI HATCH LAUNCHED BY Rankin / Photographer / LONDON
- MINI ELECTRIC LAUNCHED BY Sir Paul Smith / Fashion legend / LONDON
- MINI JOHN COOPER WORKS LAUNCHED BY The Cooper Family / The family that put MINI on the map / UK
- MINI CONVERTIBLE LAUNCHED BY Tuba Geckil / Baker / ISTANBUL
- MINI 3-DOOR HATCH LAUNCHED BY Jonathan Jay Lee / Illustrator / HONG KONG